Thursday, December 22, 2016

There's Clever and there's CLEVER

When Trump was elected, I offered a Photoshop Tweet. I also sent a copy to my friend J----.

Usually J---- is quick to reply with a LOL or a compliment, but I figured, ok. Either she voted for the guy (!) or she's taking me a bit for granted. I don't respond every time a friend sends me a link to a FYI newspaper article, for example. It gets to be clutter to have "thanks for the heads up" "you're welcome" bouncing back and forth.

A day later, I was compelled to tinker together another Photoshop job. Actually, there was a trending Twitter topic, imagining Broadway shows that Trump & Pence might approve of ("Hamilton" not being one of them). I offered this:

I sent it to my friend (and not mass email it to others). She's not following me on Twitter, after all, doesn't DO Twitter, so I sent it the old fashioned way. But once again, there was no response.

Of course, as Dale Carnegie pointed out, "People are concerned with themselves 24/7." Which is why I do this stuff for myself, and not for money (who's buying anything?). It doesn't faze me if I get a bunch of re-Tweets or "nice comments" or not.

The other day, I got an email from my friend J----, with a big photo attachment, the kind that leads to a warning: "your email is nearly FULL."

She wanted me to see the "clever illustration" a friend of hers created.

Yes, she took the time to forward this to me, and I guess it was a mass emailing to everyone in her address book. It was just too creative not to share.

Like it says in the header, "there's clever and there's CLEVER."

She actually sent this with a little note remarking on how it was a "clever illustration."

It's possible she felt some obligation to help this mediocre no-talent, who probably helps her wash her car or something. She's well known and people routinely try to use her fame or endorsements to try and get attention.

What can I say.

Whether it's a pat on the back or a kick in the balls, you just move on.

We all have different ideas about what's funny and what's clever and what's worth somebody's time. As Donald Trump says, "That's what makes America great!"

No comments:

Post a Comment