Monday, November 4, 2019

Robert Evans the Rapist -- as remembered by Diane McBain

You might remember Diane McBain. Sadly, and most likely, in regard to a Christmas Eve rape that she wrote about in Cosmopolitan.

She was a starlet who had appeared quite often in Warner Bros. TV shows.

Wikipedia rather unkindly opens with this:

Diane McBain (born May 18, 1941) is an American actress who, as a Warner Brothers contract player, reached a brief peak of popularity during the early 1960s. She is best known for playing an adventurous socialite in the 1960-62 TV series Surfside 6 and as one of Elvis Presley's leading ladies in 1966's Spinout."

Diane McBain can be bought on eBay from a variety of the "dupe anything without permission" vendors:

McBain is currently living at the Motion Picture County Actors Home.

She returns any fan mail requests for autographs unless they come with a check. Something like $25.

But oddly enough, she was offered the chance to have a VeRO rep on eBay remove — free of charge — the photos above which violate her intellectual property.

She declined.

She could've allowed the photos to remain on the condition that the dealers donate 50% automatically (eBay does the deduction) to the Motion Picture County Actors Home, or any other charity of her choice.

She declined that, too.

As it turns out, the Christmas eve rape, at the hands of two brutal Latino creeps wasn't her first.

. The death of Robert Evans sparked her memory of his crudeness in Las Vegas when she was 19. No, he's not around to defend himself, but who would doubt her story? As posted on Facebook:

Producer Robert Evans passed away last week. He was an accomplished professional. I have read several glowing articles about the fellow. But I want to gift Evans with his #metoo moment, which he was sadly and cleverly denied during his extremely fortunate lifetime. In my personal experience, he was a rapist and a blackmailer. I can't say it more honestly than that. When I was a very naive nineteen years old (he was eleven years older), he took me across the border into Nevada (it is and was against the law to transport a minor across a state border for the purpose of sexual relations), and to Las Vegas where he wined and dined me. He was so charming, and he gave me $200 with which to gamble. He wanted to get rid of me after dinner, so he could play Craps with his friends in peace. I thought he was being generous, and oh so enchanting. I was wrong. He was only conning me as he has apparently conned many people along the way. I won $1,000 (in 1959 dollars - significant money at the time) at Blackjack that night. For me, it was a windfall. I was so horribly in debt that I was grateful for the opportunity to pay off some bills.

For the record, I own my naive youth. I had no interest in a physical relationship with this guy. I had no interest in taking money from him. I recognize that I should not have been so trusting, and I should not have put myself in a potentially compromising situation. But at that age, distrust did not inform my judgement. I was naive, but that did not give anyone the right to assault me.

It was late when we finally got to our hotel suite, where he had promised me my own bed/room, and privacy. I was sadly misled. I won't go into the gory details here, but he forced himself on me and raped me. After we returned to LA, I refused to see him again, but finally relented when he said he had something important to talk about. The idea of seeing him terrified me, but I went because I thought it was important to tell him how I really felt about what had happened. He had another line of attack in mind. He threatened to blackmail me if I didn't give him the total of my Blackjack winnings, because, he said, the money was his! I had already returned the original $200 he had given me, so I didn't believe I owed him anything, but he threatened to ruin my budding career with negative publicity. He said, to my utter disbelief, that he would go to the press and say that I seduced him and had intended to take advantage of him! If the powers that be believed his story, it would violate the morals clause in my movie contract. Ultimately, I decided I could not jeopardize the new and wonderful opportunities I was getting at Warner Brothers Studios. I was in the middle of filming the title role in Claudelle Inglish based on the Erskine Caldwell novel. I had already spent my Vegas winnings paying off my financial obligations. Based on my small acting income, it was a struggle to give him the money he demanded. But I did. I had to borrow it from my good friend.

There have been many opportunities over the years to name him as a my rapist, but I have resisted because I always feared he would come after me again; he had the power to do it. I am aware that he ruined the lives of other women - personally known to me - along the way, and he managed to damage me psychologically for all of my life. Only a person who has gone through such an assault could fully understand. But now I need to speak my truth.

Getting over what happened hasn't been easy; I'm not sure I will ever "get over" it, but keeping it bottled in after reading the accolades he has received in the shadow of his death - and knowing what I know - doesn't seem to be an option anymore. I am sharing this to lighten a terrible burden I've carried for way too long, and to embolden other women who have been subjected to abuse and assault in their personal and/or professional lives. This happens all the time. I'm sorry I didn't have the strength to speak up many years ago.

Meanwhile, on Ebay, she's still being used by men.

1 comment:

  1. I hate to say, but I’ve always laughed off Robert Evans’ shenanigans. (I’ve read a couple of his autobiographies.). I laughed, that is, until I read your blog post. Wow!!

    Watched “Claudelle Inglish” on TCM just a few minutes ago and looked up Ms McBain. I’m shocked at all that she’s been through - and that eBay con artists are ripping her off.

    ReplyDelete